Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Alex Othman Jr's Robot Project

Q: What are "Vex" Robotics?


A: Vex robotics are a student competition that allows students to build robots and make them compete against each other.




Q: Oh…  are you building a robot?


A: Well yes, I’m in charge of building each part of the robot in CAD.  

Q: That sounds very interesting. What have you done so far on your project?
A: Well so far I’ve only made a small part of the robot, but it’s a very important part of the robot as well.

Q:How did you make this part of the robot?


A: First I made a sketch of the measurement of what the part would look if it was flat and 2D.

Q: Oh ok, what did you do then?


A: I then extruded the sketch and made it into a 3D object.

Q: How did you get the 3D object to have a cut through the middle of it?


A: I used a tool called the extruded cut. It’s similar to the extrude except it cut through things instead of making something.

Q: How did you get the holes into the object?


A:I made a sketch on the side of the plane then extruded it and used a linear pattern to then place them across the plane.

Q:How did you make the edges smooth on the object?

A:I used sheet metal to then flatten the object and and add a smooth curve on the object which in result allowed it to bend.

Q:What else did you do to the object to make it look realistic?

A: Well I added more of the square that I added before on the side of the object, but its on top this time.

Q:It’s starting to look like one of the parts of the robot. How did you add those notches on the top and the side of the object?

A:I had to make a plane that angled the object so I could place a diamond sketch on it which then allowed me to extruded cut it.  Then I fillet it to make it look more round. Finally I added half of the diamond, so it could have that triangle shape.

Q: What will be the conclusion?

A: Well hopefully the conclusion of this entire project will be an entirely new and hand made robotic



1 comment:

  1. That c-channel bar looks excellent. Is there a way to import parts such as the motors for example?

    ReplyDelete